Jonathan born in Accra, Ghana grew up in Darkuman a suburb of the capital with his parents, two older brothers and sister. The football mad Jona as he was affectingly known would spend all of his spare time playing football on the streets with his friends. Like every boy his dream was to be a professional footballer but this wasn’t realised until the family were relocated because of his father’s new job in Obuasi, Ashanti Region. Here Jona was able to showcase his undoubted talent whilst featuring for his School team and soon he was spotted by Ghana premier league giants Ashanti Gold and signed on a 3 year deal at just age 17.
After spending time in South Africa with Free State Stars, 2009 was the year Jonathan came to prominence after marshalling Ghana’s defence to win the Africa Youth Championship and World under 20 titles.
His performances didn’t go unnoticed as he was called into the senior squad for the African Nations Cup 2010 and also playing a sterling role in Ghana’s run to the quarter finals at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Jonathan has gone on to establish himself as one of the finest young defenders in Africa.
Jonathan Mensah Timeline
- Jonathan scores first goal in Ligue 1Jonathan's first goal in Ligue 1 for Evian came against Stade de Reims. A goal any attacker would be proud of.
- Evian Thonon GillardJonathan signs a 5 year deal with Evian Thonon Gillard in France’s Ligue 1
- Granada CFJonathan played an instrumental part in the Granada CF team that won promotion to La Liga.
- Youngest player in Ghana squadYoungest player in the Ghana squad at just 19 years that made it to the Quarter finals at World Cup in South Africa. Jonathan played 3 games in the competition.
- Africa Cup of NationsJonathan was part of the team that picked up silver medals at the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations after losing to Egypt in final.
Udinese CalcioAfter speculation about his future Jonathan signed for Udinese Calcio and immediately loaned to Granada CF in Spain.
FIFA World Under 20 ChampionshipJonathan played pivotal part in the FIFA World under 20 Championship in Egypt defeating Brazil in the final becoming the first African country to win the competition.
- Africa Youth ChampionshipJonathan won the Africa Youth Championship in Kigali, Rwanda with the Ghana Under 20 team.
- Free State Stars FCJonathan signed for Free State Stars FC in the Premier Soccer League of South Africa on a 3 year contract.
- The Black SatellitesJonathan received his first call up to the Ghana Under 20 team the black satellites after some great performances in the Ghana Premier League.
- Ashanti Gold Sporting ClubSigns for Ashanti Gold Sporting Club in the Ghana Premier League at the age of 17 years going on to make his debut against African giants Kumasi Asante Kototo and keeping a clean sheet.